Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Slán go fóill, Maeve

Until recent years (late 20's) I was never much of a "reader".  In fact I read exclusively magazines. Usually trash at that:


Even back in school- I would never pick up a book unless it was assigned to me for English class.  And even then I would sometimes end up just skimming over the surface, my ADHD getting the best of me. 

However, there was a particular book I quite enjoyed.  I t is possible I read Circle of Friends by Maeve Binchy about 2 dozen times in high school alone….  Unusual for a non-book type.

Now, I do realize that whilest in high school the aforementioned movie also came out.  And my crushes on both Minnie Driver and Chris Donnelly (equally) may have helped to facilitate this allure slightly.



Back to Maeve.  Throughout the years, particularity in the past 8 or so, I have picked up more and more MB books.  She has been my “go-to”, some would say.  On road trips I could be sure to find one of her books in a local goodwill store or yard sale.



Her stories were mainly depictions of small-town Irish life, and the struggles of her characters both in love and in life.  

Her own life was a love story all its own. I have noticed in reading her work that many of her books are dedicated to her husband, whom she married in 1977.  You open up a MB novel and surely you will see the likes of:
'To dear generous Gordon' 
'To Gordon Snell, who has made my life so good and so happy...
or
'To my dear love Gordon Snell'

Her thoughts on her husband as per the Maeve Binchy website?
"I met Gordon Snell, a writer, a man I loved and he loved me and we got married and it was great and is still great. He believed I could do anything, just as my parents had believed all those years ago ..."

What can I say? I am a sucker for the L word.

Her novels contained their fair amount of love and drama but more than anything- her characters and stories were very.... humanRelatable, even when the story was set in another continent, during a war I'd never experienced.

I feel that without Maeve perhaps my transformation into a “reader” may not have happened.  Well perhaps I shouldn't be SO dramatic-- but her tranquil stories that I look forward to getting home to dive into- has certainly guided my way.



No comments: