Tuesday, September 11, 2012

sadness

We lost a great woman yesterday.

Sue- we will all miss you terribly.  As mom said, you are free from any pain now.




My memories of Susan began when I was very young and would be up north visiting my grandmother "north of the checkerboard".  Kelly and I would sneak into Susan and Wayne's apple orchard or ride our tiny bikes around their property singing "Hello Wayne and Sue, Yabba Dabba Doo", a homemade song we still chant today once in a while.

My mother and Sue had a great friendship which dates back decades and decades. They met as young kids and continued their friendship- especially when mom and Pete moved back up north 12 years ago.  Mom and Sue were essentially neighbors again!  Susan was a gentle, loving woman who loved to harass me about getting married.  "When are you and Corey getting married?  We need another destination wedding, for chrissakes!" -This a reference to a trip we took in 2008 for our good pal Sarah's wedding to Manny in the Dominican Republic.  We made it quite the family affair. A large group of friends as well as Lil Kel & Brother Rob, myself & Corey, Mom & Peter and their neighbors Aurelia and Roy- and then Susan, for good measure!
We had a blast!
Susan was the walking pharmacy on that trip when I found myself covered in Dominican mosquito bites.... or whatever it was that got me.  Being a nurse by trade- the woman knew how to take care of you.

My regret is that I did not go to see Sue on my last trip up north.  This is something I really have to work on.  Death is the most frightening thing to me, and I guess I try to shelter myself from it whenever possible. 

I am glad that my mother was nearby.... was always nearby to comfort Sue during her illness.

I will be up north in less than 2 weeks and we are going to do something for Susan. Perhaps plant a tree in her memory, and cheers our glasses with something sparkly.

Goodbye Sue.

You can now be with Wayne senior again.

 

 

No comments: